Phone: +372 5687_ 7114
- Gea has more than 10 years of experience in working as a lawyer in the public sector. She is skilled in public and administrative law, procedural law and litigation, and also constitutionality of the restrictions of basic rights.
- Gea started off as a lawyer in the city government of Tartu, the 2nd largest city in Estonia, where she amongst others supervised the proceedings of the public procurements and concluding contracts; represented the city government in both civil and administrative litigations in the courts; drafted regulations on local taxes, prepared decisions on challenges on administrative acts or measures; supervised the misdemeanour proceedings conducted by the city government officials.
- Then, for nearly 7 years Gea worked in different positions at the Supreme Court of Estonia, where she amongst others took part of the negotiations in various courts’ administration issues held by the President of the Supreme Court and the Courts’ Administration Board and the Ministry of Justice; drafted the Courts Act in a team lead by the President of the Supreme Court; prepared materials on supervising the judges (e.g compliance with reasonable time-limit of the proceedings etc); organised the public and international relations of the Supreme Court, including representing the Supreme Court of Estonia as a Liaison Officer at the Council of Europe Commission “Democracy through law” (also known as the Venice Commission); analysed the judgments of the Supreme Court in constitutional review matters.
- Thereafter for over a year Gea worked as a councillor in the Chancellor of Justice office where her tasks mainly concerned with the constitutionality review of legal acts on the courts’ administration or court procedures; she also reviewed the complaints on judges’ performance, thereby preparing the Chancellors decisions on whether to launch disciplinary proceedings.
- Gea joined the GLIMSTEDT Law Firm in March 2012 .
Education and qualifications
- University of Tartu, Faculty of Law (M.A., 2007)
- University of Tartu, Faculty of Law (B.A., 2002)
- Estonian Bar Association since 2012
- Gea is a member of The Estonian Lawyers Association since 2004
- Execution of the constitutional review judgments of the Supreme Court of Estonia in 2004–2009. The Estonian parliamentary journal Riigikogu Toimetised, 2010, no. 21
- Handbook “15 years of Constitutional Review in the Supreme Court of Estonia” (published in 2009) which contains substantially systematized extracts of all of the judgments and rulings in constitutional review matters of the Supreme Court of Estonia in 1993-2008
- Supervision of Serving Judges, Juridica 2006, no.3
- Relationship Between the Administration of Justice and the Media in Estonia and Europe, Juridica 2005, no.5